Monday, May 5, 2008

Is blogging bad for my poker game?

So I was on a tear on the poker front last week. Unitl, that is, I decided to start a blog. I do not know what happened. I was at a high water mark for the year in my poker account, and now, after this last weekend I am worse off than when the week began. I know that blogging had nothing to do with it, but it is nice to have something to blame, other than my poor play.


It started Thursday night when I decided to have a few drinks. See, I took Friday off of work, so I figured what the hell I can have a few drinks on a Thursday. The mistake I made was firing up Stars after I was thouroughly tuned up. This never seems to help my game a great deal. I wish I could remember some of the key hands, but I have enough trouble remembering hands when I am sober.


I started the night by dropping 3 buy-ins in PLO. A game at which I enjoy playing and have been doing fairly well with as of late. I then switched it up to old faithfull, hold-em, where I got absolutly destroyed for 2 buy-ins. I decided this would be a good time to focus more on the drinks than the poker and shut the computer down.


Friday brought a day to myself at the house, which is pretty rare. So I decide that poker would get my complete attention, and sobriety. If I would have known in adavance how shitty the cards would be to me I would have drank, because as we all know the beats don't hurt nearly as bad when you feel little pain. I played two multi table tourneys on Friday. One PLO, and one Hold-em. In the hold-em tourney I went out on the bubble when I had a large stack. Now normally I am not an advocate of risking a huge stack on the bubble without the nuts, but the villian in this hand had consistently been check raising with weak hands and forcing others out of hands. I raised at the cutoff with AK of hearts. The villian is on the button with a larger stack than I. He calls. The flop comes Axx with two hearts. So far so good. I bet a little over half the pot. Villian instantanioulsy raised which to me meant that he most likley held garbage judging by his previous plays. So long story short, I jam, he calls, he has a set, I do not catch, I start thinking about that bottle of whiskey in the cabinet.PLO tourney was just plain bad. I played horrible. No excuses here, just was not my day.


--------------------------


On another note, I am having trouble getting money from my bank into Full Tilt. I got some advise from BamBam about using VISA, but that does not seem to be working for me. Any other suggestions?


Talk to you later.....


-Grouse

3 comments:

Zeem said...

get money to a friend who has chips?

welcome to the party

z

OhCaptain said...

I found blogging and reading blogs to be very good for my game. But blame is always fun.

I don't think there was anything wrong with taking that risk on the bubble. Top pair with the nut flush draw is a pretty strong hand vs and agressive chipleader.

Hope you get to Full Tilt soon. The blogger games over there are a blast.

See ya on the felt, or at the mall...which ever comes first ;-)

CC said...

I'd say PLO is bad for your poker game. The variance can cloud your vision a bit, or at least I would think.

Thanks for dropping by, and hang in there.